Wednesday, September 2, 2015

peel the onion


Everyone is an athlete at their core. Sahara, Evan & I had the opportunity to run with a gentleman that helped bring new meaning to the term "Athlete." Kevin is a student Athlete that attends school at KSU. He has a 3.4 GPA, attends student events and has found time to write a book.

Kevin is severely disabled. There is not a whole he can do for himself. He needs constant attention. BUT, strapped to 3 wheeled bike, he is free. He can steer his way through foot traffic at the river, in a road race or anywhere else and propel himself by his own power. We have seen him maintain his heart rate at 200 beats per minute for 40 minutes. I have never seen anything like it. It would be the equivalent of me running a 26 minute 10K.

So it begs the question. What can I do in a day to get closer to that as a runner? The first step is to commit a minimum of one hour a day for 5 or 6 days a week. If there is a willingness to try every day, then I have a chance.

The second step to develop a routine of "rolling out" sore muscles. Every HS & College Cross Country and Track team makes rolling a part of practice. Stretching goes with rolling. We recommend rolling then stretching. If it hurts when you use a foam roller, you need to foam roll more often until it quits hurting. The other option is to get a massage twice a week.

Step 3 is sleep. When I am working out every day and rolling every day, I am tired at night. At 9:30pm, I can choose to watch TV and/or stay on the computer or I can go to sleep. If I stay up past 9:30pm, the workout will suffer in the next two days. Most folks skip a workout in the next two days after staying up late. Being committed to fitness training includes getting sleep.

Step four is nutrition. When I am working out every day, taking care of my body by rolling out, and getting enough sleep, I usually try to show some discipline with nutrition. Let's face FACTS. Hauling my ass down Peachtree Road at 150 pounds is a hell of a lot easier than it is at 180 pounds. This idea that being thin "looks unhealthy" is a matter of perspective. To someone who is fat or obese, being thin is unhealthy. On the 4th of July when I step to the line in front of Sixty Thousand people with an Elite race number, there are no fat people with-in sight.

Kevin has been a huge inspiration to us and has helped us recommit ourselves to honoring our gifts.


No comments:

Post a Comment